In association with our new exhibition, Human non Human, join us for this program of short film screenings.
Art+Science storytelling converge in this program of inventive short films from around the world. Bringing together the factual, the fictional and the fabulated, the selected films explore past and present-day curiosities, wonderful oddities, imaginative scientific practices, and diverse ways of knowing and being.
These screenings are free with general Museum admission.
The 4S Sydney Short Film Program is curated by Juan Francisco Salazar, Associate Professor, Western Sydney University. It will be screened in the Kings Cinema, an art deco cinema in the style of the 1930s located in the Powerhouse Museum. Please note that the Kings Cinema has limited capacity and seats will be taken on a first come, first served basis.
Supported by the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S), Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences and Western Sydney University.
Thursday 30 August and Friday 31 August 2018 Download full description of films [PDF]
- Hybridities: Almost Other, Günes-Hélène Isitan (Canada, 2017, 3:08)
- Kosmos, Ting Tong Chang (Taiwan, 2017, 10:25)
- Um Campo de Aviação (An Aviation Field), Joana Pimenta (Portugal/USA, 2016, 14 min)
- Einsten-Rosen, Olga Osorio (Spain, 2016, 9 min)
- Diamonds for my Ants, Karina Vilenkina (Russia, 2016, 15:22)
- Epitaphs of the Common Mud, James Ravinet (UK, 2015, 10:00), Commissioned by Arts Catalyst, Centre for Art, Science + Technology
- Grassroots, Frank Oly (Australia, 2018, 19 min)
- Timelapse, Aleix Castro (Spain, 2016, 11 min)
- Ngurini (Searching), Paul Brown (Australia, 2016, 21 min)
- Xapirimuu (Brazil/Colombia 2016, 6:28), Colectivo Orssarara (Sebastián Wiedemann + Susana Dias)
- Entre-Vidas: Bruno Latour (Brazil/Colombia 2015, 7:22), Colectivo Orssarara (Sebastián Wiedemann + Susana Dias)
- Proxima B, Giulia Grossmann (France, 2017, 15 min)
- Operation Crayweed, Stephen Oliver (Australia, 2017, 3 min)
Saturday, 1 September 2018 Download full description of films [PDF]
- Science Archives of RCA Controversies
Taiwan Science, Technology & Society Association
Dong Tai Communication Co., Ltd
National Chengchi University (Taiwan, 2018, 48 min)
- Black Suns: An Astrophysics Adventure
Kelvin Z. Phillips (USA | Australia | Japan 2017, 47 min)