‘This museum is a treasure house filled with wonderful surprises.’
Jean Paul Gaultier, 2015
The MAAS Centre for Fashion is Australia’s first public centre for fashion excellence, giving unrivalled access to arguably the largest public fashion collection in Australia.
Working closely with local, national and international designers, and industry and tertiary partners the initiative will foster creative excellence, scholarly inquiry and public curiosity through exhibitions, interactive events, fellowships, designer residences, publications, acquisitions, programs and research.
The Centre for Fashion provides a tangible access point for exploring often abstract concepts of design, form and style.
In 2017 the Centre for Fashion is presenting Love Is… Australian Wedding Fashion, Student Fashion and a range of programs and events featuring leading designers, influencers and fashion critics.
Centre for Fashion ambassadors include Kym Ellery, Luke Sales and Anna Plunkett of Romance Was Born, Collette Dinnigan, Linda Jackson, Alistair Trung and Akira Isogawa. The Centre also welcomes Founding Patron, Dr Gene Sherman.
An advisory board provides support to the initiative:
- Lisa Chung, Advisory Board Chair and MAAS Trustee
- Edwina McCann, Editor-in-Chief, Vogue Australia and Chairman, Australian Fashion Chamber
- Deeta Colvin, Director of Communications, Blainey North
- Nikki Andrews, NAC Media Group
- Professor Peter McNeil, University of Technology, Sydney
- Dolla Merrillees, Director, MAAS
- Peter Denham, Director Curatorial, Collections and Exhibitions, MAAS
- Arani Duggan, Head of Development and Strategic Relations, MAAS
The expertise of the Centre is extended by two of Australia’s most respected fashion and textile curators, Roger Leong and Glynis Jones, senior curators with the MAAS team.
The Centre for Fashion is pleased to welcome Garde Robe as a major partner for the Centre for Fashion and Designers Circle.
To receive news and updates from the Centre for Fashion, subscribe here and choose ‘fashion’ from the list.