Explore the Powerhouse Museum after hours for FREE and see the Museum in a whole new light at MAASive Lates (18+). Meet Egyptian experts, get creative with a range of hands-on activities, tour our exhibitions and chat with our curators.
You can also visit Egyptian Mummies: Exploring Ancient Lives during MAASive Lates. Entry is not included with a free MAASive Lates ticket but is discounted by 20% for one-night only.
- Speed meet Egyptian experts including archaeologists, Egyptologists, morticians and curators amongst a dozen assorted experts
- Take a curator tour of our Recollect: Health and Medicine and Out of Hand exhibitions
- Peer through telescopes with Sydney Observatory astronomers and discover how ancient cultures like the Egyptians viewed and used the sky
- Bring out the Indiana Jones in you to escape a virtual reality tomb
- Get your groove on with dancer Darren Compton and learn how to tut, a form of hip-hop inspired by hieroglyphics
- Design your own death mask like the ancient Egyptians so that your soul will be able to recognise your body in the afterlife
- See Dr Narelle McCoy perform a series of eccentric short talks on death, sexuality and mourning rituals
- Play some life-size Senet, possibly the world’s oldest board game
- Let your inner child run free in our Dig Discovery Zone
- Hear from MAAS curators as they uncover the stories behind our Icons exhibition
- Enjoy Egyptian music by Arabic DJ TigerBoy
- Tuck into delicious Egyptian food including
- Mezze Plate of Oven Baked Za’atar Flat Bread with Hummus, Tabouli, Baba Ganoush ($12)
- Falafel, Feta, Chickpea & Mint Salad ($14.50)
- Dukkah Spiced Chicken Skewers, Tabouli & Sumac Yoghurt in Oven Baked Za’atar Flat Bread ($16)
- Dukkah Spiced Lamb Skewers, Tabouli & Sumac Yoghurt in Oven Baked Za’atar Flat Bread ($16)
- Arrive early for happy hour from 6–7pm (cash bar)
Add a visit to Egyptian Mummies: Exploring Ancient Lives – save 20% for one night only.
Discover what lies beneath the wrappings of six mummies from the British Museum in Egyptian Mummies and hear from some of Australia’s leading and emerging Egyptologists in the exhibition Discounted for MAASive Lates only, tickets for Egyptian Mummies are limited so book now to reserve your spot.
18+. Bookings essential.
MAASive Lates happens four times a year. Keep an eye out for:
- MAASive Lates: Sherlock Holmes
- MAASive Lates: Science
- MAASive Lates: Design