Explore the Powerhouse after hours and experience the Museum in a whole new light with a celebration of the new MAAS exhibition Reigning Men: Fashion in Menswear 1715-2015. Explore the connections between textiles, fashion, identity and culture in a relaxed social environment. Meet experts, get creative with a range of hands-on activities, tour exhibitions and chat with curators in this huge night of after-hours fashion, design and culture.
Entry to the Museum for MAASive Lates is FREE. Add a $5 ticket for an exclusive, after-hours viewing of Reigning Men + the opportunity to participate in exclusive curator tours of the exhibition.
- Meet experts on fashion and culture and grill them for their insider knowledge, including Reigning Men Ambassadors, Jimmy Niggles Esq., Benji Hart, Timothy Nicol-Ford and MAAS Senior Curator Roger Leong.
- Join our live barbering sessions with legendary urban barber Charles Lomu. Drop-in for a quick trim or a sweet signature fade!
- Watch artist Leo Greenfield as he works his magic, with beautiful live drawing projected onto the Museum Walls. Leo’s work concentrates on illustrating from memory the ever-changing space of street life and culture. On paper or online, Leo expresses the silhouette and patterns of contemporary dress, creating intimate social portraits of people, places and their communities
- Look out for voguing workshops with dancer and choreographer extraordinaire Ian RT Colless.
- Men In This Town presents ‘Off the Cuff with Ali: Imagination’– This one-night only town-hall forum led by Men In This Town columnist Ali Asghar Shah will look at prominent movements in art and fashion to explore how they affected one another, and continue to shape our contemporary imagination.
- Meet the incredible Sapeurs of Western Sydney and watch out for their fashion parade to see some of Sydney’s most styling outfits.
- Check-out Textile Tactics, where you can explore the future of textiles and materiality with a hands-on experimental bio-textiles workshop run by UNSWAD designers and researchers Alia Parker, Emma Peters and Hannah Young.
- Kick back to the sounds of Leo Tanoi a.k.a DJ Black President
- Make, mend, donate! Drop-in to our hands-on making station where you can make your make your own protest badges, design your own tote bag, mend your old favourites or add your pre-loved clothes to the donation stations.
- Join the exclusive Curator Tours of Reigning Men to gain expert insight into the internationally touring exhibition*
- Rest your legs with a free screening of Men of the Cloth – an award winning documentary which unravels the complexity of a custom tailor’s artistry.
- Dress to impress – wear your best outfit for the chance to win a MAAS membership for you and a friend.
- Arrive early for happy hour (paid bar) and unwind with a drink, or grab some delicious snacks at the MAAS cafe.