This store houses a multitude of objects collected and used by scientists both in the field and in the lab. There are insects, butterflies, birds and animals; fossils, gemstones, mineral and oil samples alongside scientific specimens, plant models, scientific instruments for measuring, calculating, observing, recording, experimenting and mapping, as well as equipment used by Antarctic explorers.
About these collections
Between them, these museums care for millions of objects and specimens, providing insights into engineering, architecture, science, art, transport, fashion, design, health, technology, natural history, domestic life, Indigenous and Pacific cultures and more.
Many of the items you’ll see on display have never been exhibited before, and there are many more treasures to be seen by taking a booked tour through the deep stores where the museum staff work day to day.
Now open every weekend, free of charge
- To visit, simply arrive at the entry between 10am – 3.30pm and scan our QR code to enter at the door
- All visitors to the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and Museums Discovery are required to wear a face mask. Please bring your own mask when visiting. Any visitors who have visited one of the identified venues on the NSW Health list or have any cold or flu symptoms, should delay their visit.
- Visitors wishing to pre-book their visit can do so here:
- Interactive activities remain suspended until restrictions ease.
- To help plan your visit, please find information here about the measures we’ve put in place to keep everyone safe. Visitors are required to provide their name and contact details on arrival to support contact tracing in line with NSW Health rules and our COVID-Safe plan.
- If you wish to bring a group, or have any accessibility questions about your visit, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9217 0222.