The thrilling potential of a material that can be modelled in myriad ways, patterned, coloured and then fired has never ceased to attract makers and users. Recollect: Ceramics at the Powerhouse Museum reveals how ceramic artists have used creative ideas and technical skills to transform clay into evocative works that enchant, intrigue and inspire.
The display includes historical Hispano-Moresque wares and Chinese vases alongside showpieces from such celebrated European ceramic factories as Meissen, Sèvres, Minton, Wedgwood, Doulton, KPM, and Villeroy & Boch. Richly expressive contemporary artworks — both Australian and international — feature prominently. It is arranged in seven key groupings:
- Art and industry
- Contemporary ceramics
- Indigenous ceramics
- International exhibitions
- Red glazes
Now open, free of charge
- To visit the museum, simply arrive at the main entrance between 10am – 4.30pm and scan our QR to register for FREE entry
- Visitors wishing to pre-book their visit can do so here:
- Some exhibitions are not open. Find out which exhibitions you can see on your visit.
- To help plan your visit, please find information here about the measures we’ve put in place to keep everyone safe. Visitors are required to provide their name and contact details on arrival to support contact tracing in line with NSW Health rules and our COVID-Safe plan.
- If you wish to bring a group, or have any accessibility questions about your visit, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9217 0222.
Back to top of page