Join us for a relaxed viewing of Jenny Kee and Linda Jackson: Step into Paradise and drop-in activities in the Step into Paradise Program Space.
Relaxed sessions are held before the museum is open and may be preferred for people with autism, learning disabilities or sensory and communication disorders. While this is a self-guided experience, our staff are on hand to facilitate and enhance your experience. Both the Jenny Kee and Linda Jackson: Step into Paradise exhibition and the Step into Paradise Program Space will be open during these sessions.
Jenny Kee and Linda Jackson: Step into Paradise is the first in-depth survey that captures the dynamic energy of Linda and Jenny’s creative partnership. It draws on more than four decades of one of the most influential pairings in the history of Australian fashion, examining the influences, inspirations and the compelling stories behind their work.
Honoured as Officers in the Order of Australia for their contributions to Australia’s fashion industry, Jenny Kee and Linda Jackson transformed the nation’s fashion and cultural heritage with their pioneering style inspired by Australia’s cultural and natural landscape, melded with their global influences.
The exhibition begins with their creative partnership in the 1970s at the Flamingo Park Frock Salon at Sydney’s Strand arcade and the sensational Flamingo Follies fashion parades, branching into their distinctive individual careers through to recent years including Jenny’s costume designs for the Sydney Olympic Games and their collaborations with Australian designers Romance Was Born.
Over 150 garments, textiles, photographs and artworks, many unseen, from the Museum’s own extensive collection are brought together with the designers’ personal archives. Highlight pieces on display include artwork from the pair and archival behind the scenes photographs, Jenny Kee’s black opal Chanel suit from Karl Lagerfeld’s first collection in 1983 and Linda Jackson’s iconic Waratah dress.
Important information for your visit:
- This colourful exhibition contains a range of sound and light stimuli, which will be as limited as possible during the relaxed session
- Pre-booking for the relaxed session is essential
- Companion card holders don’t need to pre-purchase a ticket, simply present your companion card on arrival to the museum to redeem a complimentary ticket
- Tickets include continued admission once the Museum is open at 10am
- If you need to take a break from the exhibition or program space, let staff know and we can accompany you to a quiet and relaxing space in the Museum
- The Powerhouse Museum is fully accessible, with ramps and accessible toilet facilities located on Levels 1, 2 and 4. The nearest accessible toilet facilities to the Step into Paradise exhibition and Program Space are located on Level 2.