‘One of the world’s great shoe collections…’
From the foreword by acclaimed shoe historian, June Swann
Stepping Out presents a selection of the Powerhouse Museum’s extraordinary collection of shoes dating from the 1700s to today, revealing foot fetishes and fantasies as well as changes in fashion, society and shoe making.
From the beautifully crafted shoes of brocaded silk and embroidered linen of the early 18th century to the cutting edge designs of the early 21st century, this book gives a comprehensive insight into changing styles and techniques over three centuries of fashionable footwear.
* Includes a new section on traditional shoes from around the world and many new images
* Tells the fascinating story of the world famous Box collection and how it was acquired by the Powerhouse Museum
* Traces changes that have occurred in manufacturing and shoe making techniques, describing how shoes are made
* Gives the historical context for changing styles and fashions
* Features the work of design icons such as Andre Perugia, Salvatore Ferragamo, Roger Vivier, Beth Levine, John Galliano and Marc Newson.