Learners will explore Earth’s place in the Solar System by:
- observing and comparing the Earth to the other members of our planetary family
- building a single scale model of the Solar system in which they see first hand the vastness of space
- collecting data to calculate the length of the day, after all HOW do you know it’s 24 hours long?
- making the similar observations as Galileo to show we are not the centre of the Universe.
Every group will:
- Look through a telescope (weather permitting) at the surface of the Sun during the day or the Moon, planets and stars at night
- Experience pristine dark sky in the digital planetarium where clouds never ruin the view
- Use our unique augmented reality app to explore the Solar System.
Every school receives:
- Make your own sundial template
- See, Think, Wonder thinking routine lenticular bookmark
- The ‘Sky this Month’ star chart
Before coming for a program please show your learners this short video on how to look through a telescope. It will make the experience more enjoyable and potentially save enough time to allow us to show extra objects.
The 5:00 pm session is available May through to July.
The 6:30 pm session is available April through to September.
Plan Your Experience
- MAAS - Certificate of Currency - 1.7.19 - 30.6.20 PDF
- 2019-20 Syd Obs Risk Assessment DET format PDF
- Sundial Template PDF
- DIY What did you see PDF 265KB PDF
- DIY Fun with Flags and Signals - Dates for iPad activity PDF, 108KB PDF
- DIY Rubbing PDF
- DIY Object Scavenger Hunt (harder version) PDF, 136KB PDF
- DIY Object Scavenger Hunt (easier version) PDF
- DIY Haiku (Poetry) PDF, 44KB PDF
- DIY Fun with Flags and Signals. Learner worksheet (no iPad version) PDF, 136KB PDF
- DIY Fun with Flags and Signals. Learner worksheet (iPad version) PDF, 136KB PDF
- DIY Drawing Scavenger Hunt PDF, 41KB PDF
- DIY Drawing challenge. The Past in the Present PDF, 189KB PDF
NSW Incorporating Australian Curriculum
|ST3-1VA||shows interest in and enthusiasm for science and technology, responding to their curiosity, questions and perceived needs, wants and opportunities|