Now we can predict much of what occurs in our Solar System but that hasn’t always been the case.
- How has our knowledge changed, who changed it and does it matter?
- What evidence for Heliocentricity and Geocentricity can we see around us and through telescopes or model with augmented reality?
- What significant event will happen in Sydney in July 2028 that won’t happen again in ours and our children’s lifetime?
Every group will:
- Look through a telescope (weather permitting) at the surface of the Sun during the day or the Moon, planets and stars at night. They will also use basic mirrors and lenses to examine the workings of optical telescopes
- Experience pristine dark sky in the digital planetarium where clouds never ruin the view
- Use our unique augmented reality app to explore the Solar System, the Earth-Sun relationship and eclipses.
Every school receives:
- Make your own sundial template
- See, Think, Wonder thinking routine lenticular bookmark
- The ‘Sky this Month’ star chart
Before coming for a program please show your learners this short video on how to look through a telescope. It will make the experience more enjoyable and potentially save enough time to allow us to show extra objects.
Please note: 5:00 pm session is available May through to July. The 6:30 pm session is available April through to September and the 8:30 pm session can be booked all year.
Plan Your Experience
- MAAS - Certificate of Currency - 1.7.19 - 30.6.20 PDF
- 2019-20 Syd Obs Risk Assessment DET format PDF
- DIY What did you see PDF 265KB PDF
- DIY Fun with Flags and Signals - Dates for iPad activity PDF, 108KB PDF
- DIY Rubbing PDF
- DIY Object Scavenger Hunt (harder version) PDF, 136KB PDF
- DIY Object Scavenger Hunt (easier version) PDF
- DIY Haiku (Poetry) PDF, 44KB PDF
- DIY Fun with Flags and Signals. Learner worksheet (no iPad version) PDF, 136KB PDF
- DIY Fun with Flags and Signals. Learner worksheet (iPad version) PDF, 136KB PDF
- DIY Drawing Scavenger Hunt PDF, 41KB PDF
- DIY Drawing challenge. The Past in the Present PDF, 189KB PDF
NSW Incorporating Australian Curriculum
|SC4-12ES||describes the dynamic nature of models, theories and laws in developing scientific understanding of the Earth and solar system|
|SC4-1VA||appreciates the importance of science in their lives and the role of scientific inquiry in increasing understanding of the world around them|
|SC4-4WS||identifies questions and problems that can be tested or researched and makes predictions based on scientific knowledge|
|SC4-5WS||collaboratively and individually produces a plan to investigate questions and problems|